Sunday, October 20, 2019

Power

In the sermon today, Tyler asked the question how should we feel as Christians about power? He didn't answer the question. And this, along with ambition, is something that holds my interest. So needless to say, my brain immediately dove down that rabbit hole and I missed whatever he said next.

Let's define power as the ability to change the world around you. I borrowed this definition from the book Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money, by Rabbi Daniel Lapin. Eating steak instead of rice and beans counts as power. Driving a car instead of walking 2 miles to work every day counts as power. Getting your kids to do their chores counts as power.

Power is something that we need spiritually and receive physically. Spiritual things cannot be taken. The very act of taking them imbues them with poison. Spiritual things must be given - forgiveness, love, faithfulness, obedience (aka power). Our power is in the authority God gives.

I think the Bible bears this out. Proverbs talks about not taking a prominent seat (aka a seat of power). Instead, it says to work diligently with excellence and allow someone higher to give you that seat. Jesus said that everything He did came from God's direction, not His own. Yet we also know that He exercises power over heaven and hell. His authority (aka power) was given to Him.

Does that mean the desire for power is wrong? I don't think so - considering that it's a fundamental need in our lives. The desire for power, however, leads us in the wrong direction.

Frameworks

As a computer nerd, the term framework is all too familiar. God's very first command to humankind said subdue the earth and rule over it. In other words, exercise power. The idea of power provides a great framework for discussion. It gives a physical presence to an otherwise spiritual concept. I can express what my spirit knows in terms of power that everyone else understands.

I can put real world actions behind the idea of obtaining power. And then measure the outcome of those actions against it. I believe the problem comes when I measure my value by those outcomes.

Like any measure, power can reveal a facet of the spiritual reality. As we please God, He entrusts us with more power. In that sense, my power reflects His pleasure. I think that's the important bit - His pleasure. Power is given when I reflect God.

Pursuing power itself puts the creation (physical) above the creator (spiritual). Like ambition, a desire for power should spur me into a closer relationship with God. When I pursue God, He entrusts me with some of His power.

And that brings me to my generalization, well, because I like to generalize things. Spiritual things are consequences not goals. Power, as a goal, causes all kinds of trouble. Power as a consequence of obedience, however, looks very different. I think we ask the wrong question - is power good or evil? I think the question should be who am I pursuing? Take my eyes off the thing (power) and put them on the one (Jesus). 

One day, this might sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment