Saturday, July 24, 2021

Responsibility

 Couple of Sundays ago, the pastor said authority and responsibility are the same thing. I remember this, because in my head I always phrased it authority and responsibility are two sides of the same coin. And something occurred to me on a walk. This is part of the mechanism to forgive our sin.

I love to figure out how things work. So yes, I think about how one person dying 2,000 years ago can be enough to cover all the things wrong with me, let alone all of the other people too. Jesus told His disciples all authority in heaven and on earth is given to me. That's how He can also accept responsibility for our sin. Jesus was in charge. If He has the authority, then He has also chosen to accept the responsibility. 

That blows my mind. This is a true leader. God gave Jesus authority so that Jesus could take the responsibility. Not just responsibility for what I do wrong. Responsibility for fixing it. So He has the authority and means to fix the world. And accepted the job of doing so.

Yes - fix the world. He starts with us. A little bit at a time. Over time. Preparing us for the real fix. The one that's coming.

Sorry, going down a rabbit trail. Back to the point. Jesus' authority provides the means for His taking the responsibility for me. And because He takes that, I don't need to worry. The responsibility for being good no longer falls on my shoulders. I still want to be good. Not because I have to. Because that's the kind of person I want to be my friend. Gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment