Saturday, September 15, 2018

Spectacularly Medicore

Lucy, Deanna, and I were watching an episode of House. You know, the TV drama about medical mysteries. I think this is like the third time I've gone through the series. I'm actually starting to remember how some of the cases pan out.

That's not the point. This episode is from the early seasons. A partially paralyzed jazz musician goes into the hospital with pneumonia. The musician has been told the paralysis comes from ALS. House thinks that it's something else. Towards the end of the episode, House is yelling at Foreman. He says something to the effect...
What you did was great. Wrong, but great. You took a chance and did something great. You should feel great that you did something great. You should feel crappy that it was wrong.
To me, this sums up the difference between mediocrity and excellence.  Mediocre people feel bad that something didn't go their way. Excellent people feel bad that they did something wrong. Still confused?

The word I associate with this is intentionality. Make a choice. Do something because you choose to do it. The reason doesn't matter. You believe that it's right and you act on that belief. You intentionally decide to follow one course over another, fully accepting responsibility for the consequences if it's wrong.

Just saying that you thought it was right isn't enough. Too many times that's used as a cop out- well, I thought it was right so I'm not to blame for it being wrong. Yes, you are. Believing that something is right doesn't change the fact of it being right or wrong. Denying the fact that it was wrong is also wrong. And it's just another way of shifting the blame, avoiding responsibility.

Queue the Bible Reference

You had to know it was coming 😀. Jesus talked about this when He said don't be afraid. Paul says boldly approaching the throne of grace. Choose, believe, and act - trusting in the truth that God is bigger than our mistakes. Even when I'm wrong, He knows and has the power to redeem my mistakes. Don't be afraid. Don't let the fear of being wrong paralyze you. Or push you into the safe choice because, well, you might look bad.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not advocating reckless behavior. Actions have consequences. You still have a responsibility to the people affected by those consequences to make an informed decision. This is not an excuse for rashness. Consider the costs. Use the information at your disposal. Get more if needed. Then choose, believe, and act.

As much as the Bible talks about faith, it never asks for blind faith. In the book of Romans, Paul talks about God calling people. He reaches out to us, in real, tangible ways. Yes, I accept that what He tells me is true - because He told me. But it's not blind.

When I make a wrong decision, I feel bad that is was wrong. I feel bad that my wrong decision had consequences on someone else's life, though hopefully minimal. Feeling bad is what drives me to learn how to not make the same mistake again. Shame is not an evil emotion - when it drives us to fix the problem.

Wallowing in shame is bad. Accepting shame for someone else's wrong decision is bad. Like pain, shame signals that something is wrong. And like pain, when it overwhelms us, we make more bad decisions. The shame becomes the object of our focus. We're intentional about removing the pain. And lose sight of fixing the problem.

And this is why Jesus described His relationship with God as I am in Him, and He is in me. Jesus ran every decision by His Father. Every single one. And went where the answer led Him. He never doubted God's love or power. Don't be afraid of being wrong. And still be aware that it happens. Live for excellence. God dreams big. Especially when He dreamed of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment