Thursday, September 27, 2018

Short and sweet

I've been picturing this conversation. A woman is talking with her friend. Her friend asks her "What's the most frustrating thing about your husband?" The woman thinks for a second and replies, "He has this uncanny ability to see my true motives." Her friend gives her a puzzled look. The woman continues, "When we fight, he sees the things running under the surface. These are things that I am trying to distract myself from. And he pulls them right back front and center."

"It took a while, but we've worked out a system. When that happens, I say I'm not ready to look at that yet. And he knows that I'm really asking for strength, not introspection. So he listens. And he's very good about listening."

"When we're done, then it's my turn. I tell him how much it meant that he listened. How I appreciate him walking along side me. And we share a moment."

"Wow", says the friend. 

"But it can't stop there," the woman continues. "I do have to face myself. Usually the next day, we sit down and talk about those things that I didn't want to face. They can't go unresolved. It's funny how much easier it is, though."

No comments:

Post a Comment