Sunday, October 30, 2016

If you love me

I was walking the other morning and realized something. Well, truth be told, I didn't realize it. God pointed out something that was there all along. The verse John 14:15 (AMP) says...

"If you [really] love Me, you will keep and obey My commandments."

This is Jesus talking with His disciples. This verse always meant to me that I was to obey. Obey, obey, obey. It came out in all kinds of sermons on obedience - usually tied with the verse that says "by their fruit you will know them". What I learned that morning was that I had it all backwards. Those sermons were just plain wrong. Jesus isn't commanding us to obey Him. Completely the opposite, He's saying that obedience will come on its own. I don't have to be afraid that I'm not perfect.

Here is the rest of that passage, John 14:8-15...

Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father and then we shall be satisfied." 
Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time, and you do not know Me yet, Philip, nor recognize clearly who I am? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words I say to You I do not say on my own initiative or authority, but the Father, abiding continually in Me, does His work [His attesting miracles and acts or power]. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe [Me] because of the very works themselves [which you have witnessed]. I assure you and most solemnly say to you, anyone who believes in Me [as Savior] will also do the things that I do; and He will do even greater things than these [in extent and outreach], because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask is My name [as My representative], this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified and celebrated in the Son. If you ask Me anything in my name [as My representative], I will do it. If you [really] love Me, you will keep and obey my commandments."

The rules don't matter. God desires a relationship, a deep and abiding connection with you and me. The relationship comes first. Obedience follows of its own accord.

 A funny thing happens when you enter into a relationship with someone - they change you. Every time you connect, you change. You become a little more like them. When I, or you, connect with God, we become a little more like Him. And like Jesus, we will do the things that God would do simply because that is who we are.

I find this very freeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment