Saturday, February 29, 2020

Give and Take

I watched a science fiction anthology on Amazon. This particular episode raised the question of what makes us human. Being me, I found something else. The story begins with Earth taking some mineral or something from an alien planet. They end up in a fight with the native inhabitants. I marveled at how the author simply considered it human to take.

Isn't that how the world works? Animals take what they want. We call it survival of the fittest. How many times have you heard the advice take what you want? That's the world left to itself. It's the lie the world asks us to accept - that this world is all there is.

Do you believe in spirituality? Then you already accept that there is more than this world. This begs the question of the nature spirit. Have you ever found a generous animal? Generosity, or even giving at all, is a spiritual concept. The world won't give. The world takes.

We were intended, created, to change the world. Remake it in the image of a God who gives. Imagine with me an entire world where every single person gives and never takes. No one trying to cheat you. Instead, they make sure you get everything you need. Imagine generosity as normal instead of the exception.

I don't pretend to understand why, but God intentionally created a universe that expects us to control it. He enters the universe through us. And His will, His character, brings giving and generosity - making the universe work as He intended.

Tired

I love understanding how things work. For the past couple of weeks, I've felt extra tired. It got bad enough to call it exhaustion. I wanted to know why. That kind of tired always has a spiritual effect. I get irritable and obsessive. So I start to wonder, is the cause spiritual or just the effect?

I think the answer is different at different times. This one started with something physical. The doctor suggested vitamin D supplements. I guess it was low on the last blood test. Apparently though, vitamin D can build up in your blood leading to exhaustion. I quit taking the supplements and started feeling better.

This is what sin has done. Instead of the spirit controlling the body, my body affects the spirit. And when I do these things on my own, I end up fighting God's will. He knew exactly what was wrong. But it still took me days of wrestling to listen. There is this inner resistance to His voice. It takes a lot of energy and hard work to overcome it. I don't like the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment