Friday, November 2, 2018

A Little Time

This week's song has been Only Jesus, by Casting Crowns. There's a line that says I've only got one life to live. I usually feel like that's used to convey a sense of urgency. And I was thinking today that, yes, I only have one life. But it's eternal. So yes, one life. But boy, is it ever long!

What if one life means just my life? I only have my life to live. The song continues about making every second of our life point to Jesus. My weird brain prefers this second interpretation in light of that. I only have my life to live. And my life should reflect Him.

The other thing on my mind this week is the parable in Matthew 18:21-35. Have you ever felt like the ruler? You model, teach, and lead and it has no effect. If you've raised teenagers, you probably know what I'm talking about. At some point, is it the right thing to stop trying?

And somehow these two things led me to wonder about pre-destination. Pre-destination is the idea that God chose the people He would save. How does that reconcile with the fact that we also have a free will?

Time gets in the way again. I can't help but think of my life in terms of past, present, and future. Without time, I've already made the choice. Free will means that it is a choice. And God already sees it. He saw birth, choice, death, and everything after as one single moment. In a sense, I've lived my one life. I just don't know it all yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment