Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why Worry?

What started all of this talk about worry? After 15 years, the company eliminated my position - a layoff! 30 people were let go. One coworker told us a story. He found work almost immediately. His preschool daughter said don't lose your job today, Daddy. It's a heart wrenching experience.

At the time, I was reading an anthology of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People and How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. Those books made a deep impression.

Worry constantly bangs on the door during a career change. How will we eat? What if I can't find work? Am I trying hard enough? Am I good enough? Some days the fear becomes overwhelming. I read my notes from those books along with Psalms or Proverbs.

Worry comes from the heart. It is fear taken to its utter most extreme. It is hopelessness. In spite of everything, you can't avoid the worst.

My hope lays in Jesus Christ. Because He lives, I am never without hope. Worry is selfishness - my circumstances are so much worse than anyone else. No one can help me. When we stop looking at ourselves, worry disappears. And you won't even realize it! Christ is our hope and salvation. You cannot worry when you have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment