Friday, July 24, 2020

Built on Trust

A thought hit me tonight. I've heard it said that relationships are built on trust. What if that's backwards? What if trust is built from the relationship? Hear me out.

Jesus talked about virtues as fruit and the relationship as a tree. The tree grows first. Then it produces fruit. The Bible says we love God because He first loved us. How did He love us? He sent Jesus to die so that He could re-establish a relationship. The fruit comes after the relationship. As a result of the relationship.

My first temptation is to ask am I producing these fruits in other people. I think that's also backwards. I need to ask are the relationships I put myself into producing this fruit in me? I can't choose what fruit someone else grows. I can choose my relationships. What seeds are those relationships planting?

No comments:

Post a Comment