Saturday, June 30, 2012

Worst Web Site Ever

I write this post as a reminder to myself. The NET10 website (as of this date, anyway) offers a perfect example of what not to do. Here's the story...

Their technical support page insists that I enter a PIN for Buy It Now. Never mind that I'm not buying anything. The submit button doesn't work at all. I hit continue a dozen times and nothing happens. Cancel works. It drops you back to the home page. This page has no way to submit a technical support ticket!

So I went looking for another way to add this PIN. I found the menu option for that. It says that I have no phone. Huh? The phone's listed right there on the home page. In effect, it's impossible to set the PIN. And it's impossible to log a ticket without a PIN. Therefore, it's impossible to log a technical support ticket.

Maybe it's your browser?

That is certainly possible. That merely begs the question, though. The site does not meet expectations. I expected to get help with a problem on the wife's phone. Instead, I ran around and around never accomplishing anything.

The user doesn't know or care about all of the little pieces that make up your application. They see that they can or cannot accomplish a goal. Anything else gets in the way. As the programmer, those details are my responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment