Friday, June 11, 2010

Watch the Road

My Dad showed me how to drive. He took me out on our back, country road and said go. I was all over the road. Eye hand coordination is not my strength. Then he taught me the single most valuable driving lesson: keep the front corner on the middle line, because the car goes where you're looking.

Sometimes, and I know this is hard to believe, I get really annoyed with my wife. She does things that she thinks will keep me from getting mad. It drives me crazy. So she tries harder - doing the same thing that started the cycle. Why? Because she's looking at anger. We go where we look.

Poor and rich represent states of mind not measures of wealth. Where you look is where you go. Rich people look at other people. They help, give, and genuinely look outward. Poor people look inward. They expect gratification, appeasement, and their own little world.

Where do you look? What do you see in your budget? Car payments for the rest of your life? The little guy can't get ahead? Everyone has a credit card? Student loans are inevitable?

Guess what - all of that will come true. You go where you look. Do you look for new ideas that help you help others? Or do you see 100 reasons why it won't work? Do you see money going where you tell it? Or do you see stuff that you need? Where are you looking? That's where you're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment