Saturday, March 6, 2010

Money, Money, Money

Our men's Bible study read a 1995 article title Idols of the Heart and "Vanity Fair" by David Powlison. The author writes:
The deep question of motivation is not "What is motivating me?" The final question is, "Who is the master of this pattern of thought, feeling, or behavior?"


I talk a lot about budgets, finances, credit cards, and the like on this blog. You've heard me say finances are 20% knowledge, 80% behavior, and 0% money. It doesn't matter how much (or little) you have. It doesn't even matter what you do with the money. It matters who you serve with it.

Do you really believe that credit card is wise stewardship? Or is it fear of the unknown - the card is for emergencies? Am I following a budget so I can have more money, or because it glorifies God? Even doing the right thing breeds idolatry when the focus falls on ourselves. All too often I find myself worried about how much money I have. And I am completely missing the point.

The budget should take my mind off of money and focus it on God. Who is the master? Did I think it was a good idea? Or did God send me down this road?

This is the fundamental question in every decision. Is God the master behind the credit card company? Is He the master behind Financial Peace University? Is He the one pushing for a larger sanctuary? The what or why don't matter. It all comes down to who.

Now for the really, really, really good news. We have access to the who behind it all. Those questions in the last paragraph, I can't answer them. And you shouldn't listen to my answer even if I did. Ask God directly. Let Him be the master of this pattern of thought, feeling, or behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment